Thursday, August 28, 2008

ICPA - Art Wolfe Print Comp

Some of you may remember my post about a month or so ago talking about the print "Above The Clouds" that I had accepted to the International Conservation Photography Awards (ICPA) 2008 exhibition. Getting one or more photos selected for exhibition is pretty big deal for this popular landscape/nature international competition.

Anyway, I found out today that my print selected for exhibition received 2nd place (runner up) in the Landscape category. Needless to say I was pretty shocked and humbled to have had my photo acknowledged at this level.

Interesting analysis. Since my work covers landscapes, portraits and weddings we are part of different groups and organizations. One organization we are part of is Professional Photographers of America. Although they do focus on weddings and portraits, there are many fine art prints submitted each year to their international print competition. I submitted 4 prints this year and 3 of the 4 made it to the general or loan collection which I was proud of (as noted in a post from last month). The one that did not make it... you guessed it! It's this photo "Above The Clouds" that made it to 2nd place in landscapes for ICPA. Very interesting how much a jury panel can vary from one contest or organization to another. Just a reminder that because a photo, or any thing you enter in a contest, does not do well in one does not mean it won't do well in another. And of course vice versa. It is a subjective process and this very much proves that. Just some food for thought.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian,

Congratulations. Hey I also am a PPA member and was always wondering about the print competition. The instructions are so confusing to me on how to enter. Let me know what is the beest way to contact you on getting a better understanding of the instructions. I would like to enter that.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home