Saturday, November 20, 2010

Time Lapse Photography - TimeScapes and Baraka

Baraka. Do I need to say anymore. Have you seen this film? If you have not seen it and you are into nature or travel photography then this is a must. I still remember when I started dating my wife and she mentioned that we should go check out this movie called Baraka at a local theater. Not the mainstream Regal Cinemas but a local place that plays mainly indie, older and just plain different films. She had seen it and knowing how we were into the outdoors and my highly advanced point-n-shoot photography, she knew I would like it too. Boy did she nail this one. I loved it.

I can remember seeing that film as if it was yesterday. I walked out of the theater and it was for sure in my top 10 films, still is. It's a movie of mainly time lapse work filmed in 24 different countries showcasing tribal people to big cities to desolate landscapes, and here is the kicker, no words. Only the sites you see and natural sounds which allows your thoughts and emotions to flow as they like. Why I went into more single frame photography and did not explore time lapse more I do not know. I guess it kind of lost interest after the buzz from the movie wore off and I went on to figure out more about the single frame world and less about movies or time lapse.

Fast forward almost 10 years and now there is another time lapse movie coming out that holds serious promise to be another winner. Tom Lowe appears to be putting together quite a film that has me ready to see the full feature after only a two minute trailer that had me from the start, check out Rapture. I have tried a little here and there with time lapse since seeing Baraka yet nothing more than a few tries that did not go far. I have to say after seeing Tom Lowe's work it is really getting me to think about photography and exploring the time lapse side. Very inspiring to say the least.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Stephanie S. said...

Have you heard of Ashes and Snow? It was a multimedia exhibit by Gregory Colbert and there's a film that is part of it. It combines beautiful moving photography (video?) with poetry. It doesn't look like Netflix has the film, but perhaps there's somewhere in Portland to rent it. You can get an idea from the website: http://www.ashesandsnow.org/.
Wikipedia has some info on the project as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_and_snow. I added Baraka to my Netflix queue and will check it out.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Adrian said...

Thanks Stephanie for posting those links. Very interesting work as well.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home